- How to approach a company for a job?
- Let’s just imagine you are looking for a job. It’s the beginning of 2013, you are being made redundant, want a change of scenery or a better salary and are [...]
- Yesterday’s dog treat is today’s savoury tapa
It’s not difficult to get Eastern European rye bread or a jar of Polish sauerkraut in the UK nowadays, with most supermarkets having separate sections set up to feed the [...]
- Top 10 Lithuanian gift ideas for Christmas
- We’ve all been there. It’s easy to buy a traditionally French gift (some perfume or a bottle of exquisite champagne), a gift with a Spanish flavour (a hamper full of [...]
- Poking fun at immigration
- Not sure what happened, but in the last couple of weeks Lithuanian Jotter received quite a few comments, and they really inspired me to post more regularly. I apologise for [...]
- Festivities at the Lithuanian Country Club in Hampshire || Events
It’s that time of year for Lithuanians in the UK – the celebration of Sekmines. Perhaps one of the main annual events within the community, this get-together traditionally takes [...]
- On Lithuanian stereotypes, immigration and… art || Away in UK
“The British feel the competition and they don’t like it, because it makes them work harder”, observes Rokas, a 20 year old Lithuanian photography student, currently living in London.
This and [...]
- If a Lithuanian invites you to dinner… || Survival tips
- I’ve read on numerous occasions that people from Eastern Europe are best described as generous and extremely hospitable. So generous, in fact, that the majority of them would pull out [...]
- Twelve dishes and no booze; a Lithuanian Christmas
Growing up in Soviet era, I used to celebrate Christmas Eve at my grandmother’s farm in a small village near Prienai. Called Kūčios in Lithuanian (pronounced as koo-chios), the 24th [...]
- Quotes of the Month: On Fishing and Drink Driving
- BBC’s Evan Davis, giving an overview of immigration impact on the British economy:
“If migrants eat 8% of our food, it would be silly to think that in the absence of [...]
- Sharp teeth, one leg, lesbian, and Lithuanian; what a picture!
- To be honest, I am baffled. I’ve been rummaging through the darkest corners of my memory trying to recall the name of at least one ‘one-legged Lithuanian lesbian’ that would [...]
- Why is there hatred towards Eastern Europeans in Britain?
- As the famous advert goes, ‘Can hate be good? Can hate be great? Can hate be something we don’t hate?’ I’m not so sure anymore. These two stories happened to [...]
- My Unofficial Oath of Immigration || 35 Things I Do to Integrate
- 1. I can speak English. I also understand English, and quite a few of the accents, although getting the jokes is sometimes tricky. So, I use subtitles [...]